a word that you may have heard about many times, what does it mean?
You may have heard about another term” digital attacks” which are aimed to access major digital platforms, either to destroy them or to obtain confidential information, perhaps for the purpose of theft or destruction or even blackmail.
point, here the definition of “cybersecurity” can include as all the procedures
and practices that will lead to spot and prevent those attacks, by providing
the necessary protection for all programs, networks, and platforms in a certain
actions are organized through strict protocols that include several levels of
protection prioritized and published in all devices, data, programs, networks
related to those procedures carried out by a professional team considered as
the first line of defense against these digital attacks.
Cybersecurity and information security: How can we differentiate between them?
There is a
lot of misunderstanding when it comes to comparing the two terms, this usually
happens due to their new emergence in the media, but contrary to what you
think, the security of information is not only concerned with stealing
passwords and bank card data or penetrating computers but rather it is related
to the protection of all forms of information wherever they are found on
paperwork, a hard disk, found in the archives of an old library or even found
in Microsoft’s systems.
We conclude that cybersecurity is not limited
to regular protection procedures for computers only, but in simple words, we
can say Cybersecurity includes all forms of security for cars, radio waves,
Mobile phones, and all operating system security used in IOT (Internet of
Now, the puzzle is solved in 2 lines:
1) Information security is a part of cybersecurity. 2) Information security is concerned with all forms of information, including information written on paper, while cybersecurity is not concerned with that.
What are the main principles that everyone should know about cybersecurity?
There are a set of general rules when it comes to dealing with Cybersecurity, including:
1) Creating strong & complex passwords is a must! (a combination of numbers, lower case & upper case is recommended).
2) make sure to prepare backups for all of your data.
3) be aware of incoming in your email messages, make sure who is contacting you.
4) Do not disclose any personal information on unsecured websites (URL must begin with HTTPS).
5) Activate the 2FA dual verification feature on your accounts, which prevents others from accessing your accounts even if they got your username and password.
6) Always make sure that your Firewall feature is always active, don’t forget to install an updated Antivirus.
This was an
introduction to cybersecurity, in which we covered some basic information so
that you will understand what we will talk about in future articles.
What is the
relation between cybersecurity & coronavirus – COVID 19? Stay tuned.